Monday, May 03, 2004

George W. Bush's racist comments

It's interesting that the press hasn't picked up these astonishing
musings from George W. Bush on skin color, Muslims and
self-government. His remarks came at a White House press
conference with Prime Minister Martin of Canada held on April 30.


Bush exclaims:

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people
whose skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern.
I reject that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice
the Muslim faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins
aren't necessarily -- are a different color than white can self-govern."

*****

Who are those who serve as the reference point for comparing "people
whose skin color may not be the same as ours"? All Americans?
No. Evidently it is people whose skin is "white." In contrast are those of
"different color" who are immediately conflated with Muslims.

I want to offer my personal apologies to anyone, American or otherwise,
offended by Bush's ignorant, confused, racist remarks. The assumptions
revealed in his words say a great deal about Iraq, the war on terror, and
a whole lot more. As a citizen of a country founded upon the view that "all
men are created equal," his comments are a profound embarrassment.

I'm truly sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment